Faylia: Dark Days
Lorren are small, forest dwelling humanoids that many people would mistake for animals rather than intelligent creatures. They are well known for their ferocity in combat and love for their forest habitat.
Personality: Lorren are generally decent, but have a mean streak and a short temper. They tend to make few friends outside their tribes and are isolationist. They value metals which are not readily available in their forest homes, especially silver. They like to play tricks on the larger races with the occasional nasty result. They are easily slighted but quick to forgive, and any favor done for them is not forgotten.
Physical Description: Lorren are extremely short and well built, rarely reaching over three and a half feet tall. They are not as wide as dwarves but are still heavy for their size. Their bodies are completely covered in fur which varies from shades of brown to gray. Their eyes are yellow or brown. They have a short snout and sharp claws on the end of both their hands and feet. Lorren only have 3 fingers, which does nothing to detract from their manual dexterity. They reach maturity around 13 and live to be around 60 years old. They prefer to wear furs and hides in forest hues, if they wear any clothing at all.
Relations: The only race lorren get along with naturally are elves, and they typically live in elven woods. They sympathize with halflings as well due to their similar sizes and distrust that they are met with in normal society. They tend to ally themselves with other denizens of the forest, usually fey.
Alignment: Due to their short tempers, Lorren tend to be more chaotic than lawful. Despite this, they tend more towards good and are rarely ever evil.
Lorren Lands: The majority of the historical Lorren lands were in the Thornling forest before the orc invasions, and many Lorren were killed as a result. The current populations of Lorren have been driven out of the central and northern reaches of that wood and now reside in the southern parts. The tribes have a hesitant alliance with the kingdoms of Zabrek and Marae. There are also Lorren living in the Liveoak but most of these migrated there after their ancestral home was destroyed.
Religion: Lorren clerics tend to worship Kef or Ssalian, although most divine spellcasters in Lorren communities are druids or adepts.
Languages: Lorren speak sylvan and elven. Those who travel outside their forest origins sometimes learn the languages of the people they come across, although lorren show an unusual reluctance to learn new languages.
Names: Lorren names sound like barks and growls in sylvan, are all nature based and are usually translated when dealing with other races.
Male Names: Fangling, Hunter, Silverclaw, Stonewold, Strongtree, Treewind
Female Names: Blossom, Goodsilver, Leaflight, Starbreeze, Wildflower, Youngvine
Tribe Names: Ashling, Elmling, Goblinbane, Liveoak, Oakdrum, Thornling
Adventurers: Despite being isolationist, Lorren will consistently adventure, especially if there is an elf present. They like to accrue wealth, although not in traditional ways. They prefer to use weapons but use their claws if they have to.
Lorren Racial Traits:
- +2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, -2 Strength, -2 Charisma: Lorren are sturdy and supple, but are small and therefore not as strong as larger humanoids. Their feral look and ferocity tend to detract in their dealings with others.
- Small: As small creatures, lorren gain a +1 size bonus to armor class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and +4 bonus on hide checks. Lorren use smaller weapons than normal and only carry ¾ of the weight a medium creature would.
- Lorren base land speed is 20 feet.
- Natural Attacks: Lorren can use their claws as an attack, dealing 1d4 slashing damage, plus half their strength bonus. They can use both claws at once (or their offhand claw and a weapon), although they take the normal two weapon fighting penalties if they do so.
- Low Light vision: Lorren can see twice as far as a human in poor lighting conditions.
- +4 racial bonus on saving throws against poison: Lorren are naturally resistant to poisons of all types.
- +2 racial bonus on Knowledge (Nature), Stealth and Survival checks in wooded areas. The hide bonus stacks with the bonus for being a small creature. Lorren are adept at moving as they wish in their natural habitat.
- +1 bonus on attack, damage, and Survival skill roles against goblins (including hobgoblins and bugbears) and orcs. These creatures are the natural enemies of the Lorren and they have learned to combat them effectively.
- Scent ability: Lorren can track an opponent using scent, similar to a wolf.
- +2 racial bonus on Perception checks. Lorren have keen senses.
- Automatic Languages: Elven, Sylvan. Bonus Languages: Common, Draconic, Goblin, Halfling.
- Favored Class: Barbarian. A multiclass Lorren’s barbarian levels do not count when determining whether she takes an XP penalty due to multiclassing. Despite their small stature, many Lorren become barbarians due to the rage class feature.
- Level Adjustment: +0